GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Once you’ve gotten a foothold on the moon in Destiny 2’s new Shadowkeep expansion, you’re going to want to get down to business and track down some of that sweet moon loot. To do that, you’ll want to complete the story campaign to gain access to the Lectern of Enchantment, where you can turn a new item, a Nightmare Essence, into a special moon-themed weapon or piece of armor. Once you find the Essence of Brutality, you can convert it into the Loud Lullaby hand cannon–provided you can find another item called a Necromantic Strand. Here’s where to go and what to do to get it.
If you check your Quests log for info about the Essence of Brutality, you’ll get a hint as to where you need to go to get the Necromantic Strand–it’s located in the Hall of Wisdom, which is a location somewhere on the moon. Unfortunately, the spot isn’t marked on your map, and you’ll only know you’ve reached it when the area’s name pops up on your screen. This one isn’t too tough to locate, however, provided you know where to start. Use these step-by-step instructions to get where you need to go:
Where To Find The Necromantic Strand
- Spawn in at the Sanctuary landing zone, where you’ll find Eris Morn
- Hop on your sparrow and head left toward Archer’s Line
- When you enter the area, look up to the right. You’ll spot a broken dome building. Head up toward that.
- When you reach the dome, head through it to the other side. Ahead you’ll see a Hive building you can enter.
- Head down and into the structure, and keep descending. When you hit the bottom, the first room you’ll enter is the Hall of Wisdom.
- Kill the enemies and move forward toward the small square outcropping of Hive architecture, just before you enter the next big room filled with enemies. The Necromantic Strand is on the ground right in front of it.
Where To Find Other Essence Weapon Components
You’ll need to complete two more steps to cleanse the Essence of Brutality so it can be converted into a weapon.
Essence of Brutality Quest Steps
- Activities Completed (Lost Sectors, patrols, public events on the moon)
- 50 Hand Cannon Kills
- Collect Necromantic Strand
With the Essence of Brutality fully cleansed, take it back to the Lectern near Eris Morn to unlock the weapon. Once you’ve done that, you can repurchase the Essence of Brutality again from the Lectern, should you want to try for a different roll on the gun. Just note that buying the Essence will cost you a Phantasmal Core, which can be hard to come by. You can get them from completing some of Eris’s bounties, or by purchasing them at the Lectern. They’ll run you either 20 Phantasmal Fragments, which you get for killing Nightmares, or 25 Helium Filaments, the planetary material you’ll find on the moon.